Wednesday, March 16, 2005

I Cast a Circle

You croak spitefully,
condemn the infant, make
frogs of men, poison the
apple, sever golden tresses.
You are always Other,
always antagonist,
old, ugly, disposable.
First the church cast
you out. You took refuge
in child stories, and
we learned to fear you.
Later, I stood accused
of being you and felt
shamed.

Today, I choose you.
I cast a circle and say
to whichever gods will
listen, we are everywhere,
rising always to the surface,
no matter how deep our images
sink. A witch is only a woman
empowered. A woman who knows
how to laugh, feel, and think.

2 Comments:

Blogger Katharine O'Moore-Klopf said...

Angela, your poetry is breathtaking.

Katharine, a fellow CE-Lmate

3:44 PM  
Blogger angela buckley said...

Hey, Katharine, I looked at your profile. I'm a Leo/Boar, too! Great minds and all that.

11:39 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home